Tuesday, October 4, 2011

C25K Week 3, Workout 1

Well, this evening I completed the first workout of week three in C25K and let me say, I'm very happy with myself! This ended up being the shortest distance I've completed in a workout but I set a new personal best for my mile time, 18:30. I was also able to do something I haven't done since high school...run (or jog) for three minutes straight! I'll admit that was killer! There were two quotes by experienced runners that helped me make it through the extreme amounts of lactic acid I had coursing through my calves...The first is from the book Born to Run and says something along the lines of, "The best ultramarathoners aren't above feeling the pain, they simply embrace it and are able to conquer it." And the second was by Dean Karnazes, a marathoner known for running hundreds of miles at a time, he said when asked if running hurt, "It does if you're doing it right!" These two quotes became my mantra starting about 15 seconds into each long stretch (3 minutes) of jogging. I actually shocked myself with my ability to accept the pain and finish each stretch without giving in and slowing to a walk.

In other news, I've missed my first two P90X workouts for the week and am pretty disappointed about that but I'll get back into the groove...My primary focus right now is dropping as much weight as possible (new plan of attack detailed in my upcoming mini-series I'm going to entitle, "Gone Primal") and getting into running shape for the Turkey Trot. My goal is to lose 30 pounds between now and then. If I continue at the rate I have been losing I'll get there!

That's all for now...A relaxing cup of coffee and a TV episode await before hitting the hay and starting it all over again.

If you have any questions, answers or comments please leave them below. I'd love to hear back from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment